110g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
1 lemon, zested, juiced
500g (about 6) apricots, halved, stoned, roughly chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons orange-blossom water (see top tips)
420g (1 1/2 cups) Greek-style yoghurt
250g creme fraiche
Roasted flaked almonds (optional), to serve
35g (1/4 cup) dried apricots, roughly chopped
115g (1 1/2 cups) shredded coconut
1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (see top tips)
80ml (1/3 cup) sweetened condensed milk
1 egg white
- Preheat oven to 160°C. To make macaroons, line an oven tray with baking paper. Combine apricots, coconut, vanilla and condensed milk in a bowl. Whisk egg white to stiff peaks, then fold into coconut mixture. Place tablespoons of mixture in small mounds, 3cm apart, on prepared tray, then bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Cool completely on tray. Makes 12.
- Meanwhile, place sugar, lemon zest and juice, and two-thirds of the apricots in a saucepan and stir over low-medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until apricots are soft. Stir in orange-blossom water and remaining apricots. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and refrigerate for 15 minutes or until chilled.
- Whisk yoghurt and creme fraiche in a bowl until combined. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed.
- To assemble fools, layer apricot and yoghurt mixtures in glasses, then scatter with flaked almonds, if using.
- Serve fools with macaroons.